Saturday, December 27, 2008

Spin Cycle: New Year's Resolutions

This is my first Spin Cycle, I have been a big follower of Jen over at Sprite's Keeper forever and enjoy reading every ones take on her chosen topic of the week, but have always been too chicken to join in. I figured I should just man up and do it, especially since this Spin is about New Year's Resolutions.

This year has been interesting to say the least. I started the year in a relationship and am ending it with a new one. A better one and one that I didn't just settle for. That's my first resolution for the new year:

1. No more settling. Time to realize that just because I am a woman, or a single mom, or in school, or over 30, it shouldn't matter...no more excuses. No more settling for someone of something that is just okay. I am aiming high. I have a tendency to accept things that will just get be by. A job that just pays the bills, or a relationship that nothing terrible about it but nothing too terribly exciting either. No more. Watch out world.

2. Join a gym. I haven't worked up the whole go and work out at the gym yet. But I am pretty excited about carrying the card around in my purse and having $60 deducted from my bank account every month. Baby Steps...

3. You know that old joke when someone asks you what your New Year's Resolution is and they say they are going to quit smoking crack, or cigarettes or turnips...but they don't really smoke those things? Yeah I know I am laughing on the inside too. That's me I don't smoke but I resolve to be a supportive girlfriend of a man who is going to try and quit smoking...cause lets face it, its no freakin fun. As a former smoker I know how hard it is for the actual quitter, but as the girlfriend that has to be around the person that is quitting? Ughhh I suck at being understanding and putting up with tiredness and grouchiness and etc., etc. So I am gonna be chanting the "God give me the patience" prayer in my sleep this year. E has said he is gonna quit. As much as I think smoking is soo sexy. I want him healthy and alive for along time...preferably with me. So I will try to be the best cheerleader there is and maybe throw in a couple of rewards for his progress *wink wink*

4. Run a half marathon. I am confident this will happen. I can run the mileage pretty easily. Its just I have this nasty little habit of not doing anything unless I know I can be the best. Kind of reverse perfectionism. If I don't think I can do it perfectly I just don't try. So in 2009 I am gonna run it, I am gonna finish the race and not care if I don't finish first. Show my girls and boys what their Mom can do and to prove it to my self I can run more than 6 miles and not keel over.

5. Be a better Mom. I make this one every year I think cause Christmas just seems like a big slap in the face of the reality of time passing, and how they won't be little forever. My niece MY NIECE!! is turning 18! this February. Graduating from high school this May. Holy crap! I remember when she was born! I remember when she started kindergarten! It seems like only yesterday she was graduating from 8th grade!

My sister cries every time the subject comes up and I wonder if she is thinking back on to all things she wished she would/could have done with her little girl who is now almost an adult. I don't want that. I mean I know they will get older but I don't want to look back and think that I just did the minimum Mom requriments. The whole settling thing again.

I have my kids I am going to start once a month taking one of them to do something special with just me. Its hard when you have four kids and only two hands to always get to do everything that a specific kid wants to do. Lily my 7 year old is dying to go ice skating but I don't think I could hold on to 4 hands and keep myself upright on the ice without someone getting a blade in the head. So I figured this would be the best thing for me and the kids to get to hang out and do something they normally wouldn't get to do with all of their siblings. As the lovely VodkaMom recently commented "Time is a thieving bastard" I plan to catch the mother fucker head on this year and at least slow it down for an afternoon.

There are so many things I want to do better this coming year: floss more, love more, eat less, enjoy the little things more, worry less... all the things I think about doing every new year, hell every new week. Sometimes I get there sometimes I don't, so these guidelines are just that,guidelines. That way when the things that I want to get accomplished do get done it is that much more rewarding then when the things that don't get done don't. I am really just not making any sense to myself anymore...You get the general idea don't ya?

This year has been on the whole a good year. I sent my little girl to kindergarten, we elected the first black President, I got all A's in school and finished 2 more semesters, my ex and I have started to at least be on civil speaking terms for the kid's sake, and I met one of the most amazing men I could have ever asked for (no not George Clooney maybe in 2009) and I am happy, healthy and breathing.

I wish all of you a very happy New Year.

6 comments:

Mama Dawg said...

Good for you for not settling. I'm still working on that.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I'm still laughing on the gym card payment thing! That was one of the funniest lines I've read all day!
Brilliant list, and I understand. My best friend smokes and I would love for her to give it up, but being a former smoker myself, I get it. You're linked and welcome to the Spin Cycle! Play again!

♥ Braja said...

Re #1, in that movie Bull Durham (big Susan Sarandon fan), she had a cushion on her lounge that said "You get what you settle for," and that was her motto...

Anonymous said...

Illinois Valley Striders has several running programs. In the summer they have Team Steam which costs $50. You go for about 3 months every Tues and Thurs night. They put you through various courses. In the end you run a 1/2 marathon in Springdale Cemetery. It is a great experience. The trainers are experienced runners and there are a lot of really nice people to talk to. I am not up for that this summer unless a lot changes, but I do plan to do Building Steam starting in March (you build up to running the Steamboat Classic either 5k or 15k). Good luck to you. I am working on my New Year's Resolution post too. Hopefully I'll be able to keep a few...

DeeMarie said...

What beautiful resolutions!!! I hope you can keep them all!!!

Anonymous said...

Do the things with your kids. You won't regret it. I wish I had done more with mine, when they were young.